Friday, December 28, 2007

2007 Needs to Stop Now

Just got off the phone with my mom. She got home and got news that a good friend of hers died in a car accident on Wednesday. Here is what I found in the Carlsbad Current Argus (I also found that it was reported in 2 other newspapers.)

Carlsbad woman dies in Texas auto accident
From the Current-Argus

CARLSBAD — A Carlsbad woman died Wednesday in a single-vehicle accident near Plains, Texas, according to reports in a Lubbock newspaper.
Rita Woodfield, 67, apparently overcorrected when her 2003 Ford F-150 drifted off the road six miles west of Plains, on U.S. Highway 82.

Woodfield was wearing a seatbelt, but was killed when the truck flipped, according to information from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Funeral services are set for 2 p.m. Monday at United Methodist Church with Pastor John Burke of New Song Christian Fellowship Church officiating. Interment will follow in Carlsbad Cemetery, new section, with arrangements by West Funeral Home.


The Woodfields were friends of ours when I was very young. I used to play with their 2 children Dara Lynn and DJ.

About 5 years or so ago, Rita's husband died suddenly. She had a very hard time adjusting as anyone would and had just recently started dating again.

After my father's death, she came over and talked to my mom for quite awhile. And, my mom and her had plans to go on trips together, seeing they were both about the same age and single. She was also someone with whom my mom was able to talk to, and who understood her kind of loss.

So, I am asking, oh great 2007, please, may this have been your last hurrah of heartbreak. I have had some other friends and family who have lost more than their share this year. We're done loosing.

And, to 2008, please show us some mercy. Whether we deserve it or not.

I wish to those of you who are traveling or just out having a good time on New Year's Eve saftely and safe travels.

No comments: