Friday, September 29, 2006

A Dream Come True

I have been wanting to write about this for awhile, but life has been getting in the way. First off, I love Shay Gines and Patrick Shearer. If you do not know these people, you should, they are amazing. And, Shay is one of the DOB (directors of the board) for the NY It Awards.

Well, a while back, I got to attend the NY IT Awards. If you have never been to one, I highly recommend it. It is an award show for Off-Off Broadway and is run just like you would imagine a Tony's or Academy Awards show to be run. There is a celebrity host, celebrities come out to announce awards - from the Off-Off Broadway scene to the screen, Award winners are ushered off stage by a lovely man or lady, and there is someone interviewing all the award recipients. Which on that note - Patrick and I got to do some promoting for the newest show - Blood Brother's Present. I am on the web somewhere, got to find that.

Of course, by the time I have been able to write this - our show has come and gone, but let me get to the point.

That night, I got to meet someone, whose plays I have read and wanted to direct for a long time. Landford Wilson.

I got a chance to direct a scene from "Burn This", but I would love an opportunity to do more of his work. His writing is very conversational, there is almost always a nice subplot and is intriguing. I just love his characters or I just love to hate his characters.

Well, he came out to the after party at Phoebe's (a few wonderful memories have already been made there) and went out for a smoke. I had already told everyone how exciting it was to see him. Everyone told me to join him outside. Nervously, I got out there told him how much I enjoyed his work and he put his arm around me and said, come and join us darling. Soon after, Patrick, Qui and Abbey were all outside chatting with Mr. Wilson. It was amazing. He is such a delightful and approachable person. Of course, now, I really can't remember all that was said, but it was just really nice to be in his presence, along with others, just chatting.

In other news, our show - Blood Brother's present Grand Guingol, has been run, done and gone. It was a fast process that involved a lot of ingenuity, falling down and getting back up again and everyone's input to make it work. I believe everyone had a good time and a lot of fun was had. It was a bittersweet moment for me, because on one hand, I had been looking forward to this project for a long time and was really excited to do it.

On the other hand, things have been really hard. I really miss Scot and this project was basically the half way point between the last time I saw him and the next. So, with the last show, I took a big sigh of relief and am ready to see my husband.

3 weeks and 2 weekends folks.

Also, in his news - things have been rocky, but the tour has been persevering. Stage Manager quit (wish I could have stepped in :) ), set has been breaking apart and general life on the road has been sucking. But, they are also past their half-way point. When they are done, they can say they have done their tour of duty and never have to do it again.

Hope to be posting more - sorry for the long lag!

No comments: