Friday, January 30, 2009

Completion is an Ever-Going Process

Alright, I missed a week, but I am staying with my posting stuff from last year - here is two that I put into one:


Just when you thought you were finished....

This is what I feel like most of my life. And, maybe this is just my inner child that grinds against the, well grind. I ever so often want to stomp my feet and clinch my fists in a tantrum of "why". Why isn't everything finished? I work so hard and fell like I have gone no where.

It really feels like the evil demon raising it's head. I finish something off, then POW, there's another piece to the puzzle. Like cleaning. You get done with the kitchen - it's spotless - and now the bathroom needs cleaning.

But, there is also the phrase - don't rest on your laurels. Where again my inner child wants to stick it's tongue out and go PPPfffftttt. Why not? I worked hard for those laurels. Time to sit down and enjoy them. Ah, the trophy. The shining moments in our life that we re-tell the story of over and over again - I was somebody that day. I have come to find out that some of trophy stories - my accomplishments - have come to be a bit dusty.

I got 2 I-Ching readings last year regarding Completion - shown below.

The daunting thought of nothing being complete. I guess it is also something that has to do with adulthood. When I was a child, once I finished the coloring book, it was done, I couldn't color in it anymore. But being an adult is much more complicated. Even when, depending on what your beliefs are, death occurs it is but another journey. I try to think of the "oblivion" as my final resting place and I can't. And, this is either because it is not, or as a human being, I can't comprehend this because everything is constant.

I've been trying to tell myself I am done with things. They are complete. Resting on my completion of such. But....I'm not. And, the resting has only caused more frustration than the actual doing. Then, I go into the head spin of when? And, when do I get to have my down time?

So, is there anything that is complete? I guess, when you finish a job or a show, that is complete, but more than likely, aren't you going to have another one? And, isn't that new endeavor going to have flavors of the one you completed?

This is where my inner child sits down, cross legged and lets out a heavy sigh.

OK, fine, I agree that everything I do in this life will never find completion, yet I should keep striving like I am. That works. Now, to just get that behemoth of a to do list in order. And, have peace with the fact that it will never be truly complete.

64: Nearing Completion
General Meaning: The situation is incomplete, but the chaos of the past is slowly giving way to order, and the goal is in sight. Nevertheless, you are still treading on thin ice - the way ahead is unobstructed, the goal is clear, but a cautious and careful attitude is still essential, lest you slip and fall.

Nearing Completion is the last hexagram of the I Ching. It suggests that the ever-spinning wheel of life never reaches an absolute conclusion. Just as a hidden sadness resides in the heart of true euphoria, just as the seeds of great achievement often sprout first in a caldron of adversity, so too no end is ever really complete without a new beginning stirring inside it. Though we divide life into categories in order to understand and master it, experience itself is seamless. With this reading, the 64-spoked, the timeless wheel of change is ready to spin onward, ever evolving, ever staying the same.

The situation represented by this reading can be compared to that of taking a lengthy trek over a high mountain. At some point before reaching the peak, you can see in detail exactly how much farther you must travel. You will have a good idea what it will take to reach the top, because of the climbing experience you've accumulated thus far. However, when you do reach the peak, which has been in sight for quite a long period of sustained effort, you will have done only that. You will have reached the top - achieving your initial goal - but now you must still descend the other side. This last critical segment is what remains before completion.

You may have little information and no experience of what it's like descending the other side of the mountain. All your attention may have been focused on the route up. The coming situation may seem very strange to you, unlike anything that you have experienced before. For the back side of the mountain is where all of the true mysteries reside. Proceed carefully, cautiously, alertly - and you will reach your goal.

63: Completion
It is a fine irony that after completion of a project or great enterprise, there is still much left to do. Completion is merely a pause in the cycle of creation and decay, a momentary stillpoint for the swinging pendulum of life. Though completion does imply a period of restful pause - one which usually has been well-earned - it is not an actual end, but rather a uniquely harmonious flat spot in the constancy of change and movement.

The image of After Completion is that of a kettle of water boiling over a fire. When the forces are balanced, the water boils properly; but if the pot is too full, it may boil over and put out the fire; or, if the fire is too hot, it may evaporate all the water. In the equilibrium which follows the completion of an arduous task, the current forces must be watched carefully to assure that a proper balance is maintained.

After Completion is also the time for fine tuning, for refinements and embellishments of what has already been accomplished.

Even if we enjoy a rewarding situation at the moment, the laws of the natural world dictate that influence and success must eventually decline. Don't let current good fortunes prompt careless or relaxed attitudes. Whatever is successful or already established needs to be carefully tended and maintained, without trying to expand it. What is incomplete should be finished, and brought to fruition without delay.

Take satisfaction upon completion, but do not dwell on it. To do so brings a kind of completion to your own influence and capability.

No comments: