Friday, March 27, 2009

There Was A Little Girl, Who Had A Little Curl, Right in the Middle of Her Forehead

Thank you Longfellow.

This is the poem that was going through my head this morning as one little curl went bouncing along, straying from the rest of my hair and presenting itself right in the middle of my forehead. I have long hair, so this was both poignant and annoying.

I have had a very interesting week. Now, if I had written this post yesterday or even Wednesday, it would probably be entitled, worst week ever or burn, world, burn. But, giving myself sometime to breathe and look over it all, I can say - it is in the top 5 worst weeks - but only because it was peppered with some really, really good things making the bad things stick out like thorns on a rose.

Guess I'm going for prose today.

So, instead of the whole description of what has happened over the week (and that was really too much information for public viewing) I'm in a creative mood so I'm just going to give you a Haiku.

The sun on my face
Everything bursts around me
Rain cools and soothes burns

OK - maybe too vague and super cheesy. Let's try this.

Friday there was a miss-step, but all in all OK
Saturday was tired, but fun and joy abounded
Sunday and Monday I was the walking dead which wasn't fun at all
Tuesday is the day I experienced hockey for the very first time
What a feeling, the ice, the fights, the fun, the game, oh wow
Then I went home and another worst fear was visited
By someone coming in and invading my home
Leaving it in shambles, disarray and loss.
Wednesday was a bit of a blur and I walked with fire in my eyes
Got an official notice that I am still mulling about
Thursday was very painful - medical tests and all
But, Friday, today, it was OK
And, I'm starting to see pink after the fall.

Yeah, definitely not my best work. Feeling creative and it being good work is not a guarantee.

So, after thinking about my behavior and my want for blood after the whole ordeal, today with my curl on my forehead, reminded me: "When she was good, She was very good indeed, But when she was bad she was horrid."

As I said above, I had a lot of good things this week. My birthday party was amazing. I was overwhelmed by how many people came out and the mixture of people that were there. To those who were there and reading this, thank you, so, so much. And, to those who gave me birthday wishes and apologies that you couldn't make it - thank you so much. I am truly blessed by the presence of my friends in any way, shape or form.

But all that went out the window on Tuesday night, pretty much into this morning. I went to horridville the other day. I wanted the world to burn. The world that had given me so much, I wanted a cinder. I just had, had it. Someone coming in and robbing me and my roommate was the straw that just broke this old camel's back. These past 2 years have been hard. Roadblocks and heart ache a-go-go. And, this, just sent me over the edge.

But, my dad always said when I was horrid - "Did anyone say it was going to fair? Did anyone say it was going to fun? Bad things happen, for no other reason than they just do."

My roommate said this will make us stronger. I really hope so. I mean, I'm still here. I'm still standing. I'm still moving on. I guess that is a start.

Also got this as an I-Ching for today. Enjoy.

39: Temporary Obstacles
General Meaning: Have temporary obstacles been blocking your way? In the course of trying to reach a goal or to fulfill a personal ambition, obstructions inevitably present themselves. This is not always a bad thing. Obstacles, difficulties and even setbacks that are eventually overcome often turn into assets. Without irritating grains of sand, oysters would never make pearls.

The obstacles pointed to here are not permanent, yet they are in the way. As when a large boulder falls in the road, the best course of action is usually to go around it, rather than to try to move it out of the way. Temporary obstacles must be seen for what they are — temporary — and should not be allowed to take on too much significance.

A positive aspect of even the most difficult obstacle is that it may cause a person to turn inward, and gain greater depth and character. While the ignorant bemoan their fate and seek to blame their problems on others, the wise seek the cause of the problem within themselves. Through this type of introspection, obstacles become a means for personal growth and self-discovery.

Without air resistance, no plane would ever fly.

If you are facing temporary obstacles, try not to be overly concerned. Obstacles are a part of achieving every goal and furthering every undertaking. Setbacks and reverses can affect morale, but keeping up your self-confidence in the face of challenges is part of a successful solution to many of life's problems. Obstacles of short duration are best handled with a yielding attitude. Go around the rock, don't put your shoulder to it.

No comments: