Thursday, March 29, 2007

UK Virgin Radio Rocks!

So, one day at work, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I tried massive amounts of coffee and getting up and walking around every few minutes. Didn't work.

Now, I like my job. Yes, a lot of the tasks are mundane and mind-numbing. Very repetitive. Probably why I couldn't keep awake that day. (Very interesting side-note: doing crafts, creating, there are some mundane things when doing that, but yet I never get bored or sleepy - it becomes meditative. Guess it is true - doesn't matter how mundane, if you are creating, it keeps you awake. But, pushing paper and electrons, just doesn't cut it.)

So, I tried to figure out a way to keep awake - MUSIC. Of course. Now, I have an Ipod, but I ever so often get sick of the songs it picks, so I wanted something more random. So, I updated my RealPlayer and went to the radio section.

I used to listen to Virgin when I got sick of my CD's at work back in the day. But, I forgot how much I loved it. Not only do they play popular music, but some older music, and some of the cool alternative bands that we all used to listen too and think we were the "cool" ones. Also, it is just interesting to hear news from there, and the fact that I get the Friday night party hits at 4pm.

So, where I am going with this, I am hoping to shed some light into the music I am listening to. And, for all you music buffs, you may want to check some of these guys out or maybe even download a couple, in your own fashion.

Here are the first eight that caught my ear:
1. Paolo Nutini – "New Shoes" (definitely a song about not having anything, life is not going well and getting a pair of new shoes to take away the blues. sung by a man? weird. makes me want to go shopping! i did check out the rest of his album - not as good as this song. he is very bluesy, but really white man blues. good chill out music.)
2. Talking Heads - "On a Road To Nowhere" (the beginning of this song is great! harmonies, no instruments, then it just opens up. it was a nice surprise. totally forgot about this one. good traveling song. i mean, isn't not knowing where you are going 1/2 the fun? sort of?)
3. Scissor Sisters - "Take Your Mama Out" (i have loved this song since the first time i heard it - which i think was on virgin radio. ever so often they play it, mostly on the drive home-which again, is at like 11am or so. god, it is great! brings a smile and a little jump in my step. and, you will want to sing it all day. to the annoyance of all of your friends.)
4. The Fratelli's - "Chelsea Dagger" (just a really up song. makes you wanna dance. go ahead, you know you want to. they have another song which is very different. has a country swing beat. and, they are already on wikipedia. but then again, who isn't?)
5. The Fray - "How to Save a Life" (still a favorite, but it is starting to wear on my nerves at little. overplayed - gotta hate that. but, i think it will be a song that 5 years down the road, it will come on and a warm sad feeling will come over me.)
6. Mika - "Grace Kelly" (this song has also hit the states. which was weird to hear on a u.s. radio station. he talks about wanting to be like Grace Kelly and then says he tries a little Freddie, but this song is definitely all about Queen. such a queen sound, that I think, somebody is going to sue someone. ;) )
7. My Chemical Romance - "I Don't Love You" (they are definitely one of my little guilty pleasures. upon another listening, it actually is a good song and has a disturbing abuse second chorus. good job guys.)
8. John Spencer Group - "Keep On Running" (why didn't they play this at some point in Studio 60? for jordan and Danny. it would have been perfect. even as a cute parody. or he could have been serenading her with it. it might have been a little creepy stalker, but weren't they already going into that territory?)

Hope you get a chance to listen or have heard some of the above. More next week!

1 comment:

Sister Mary Manhattan said...

Yeah. It's time for some new music in my speakers.